History of the Parish
On May 20, 1936, Bishop John A. Floersh purchased a lot on Cannons Lane to be the new East End Parish which would come to be known as Church of the Holy Spirit. On January 21, 1937, John W. Vance was appointed as Pastor. Father Vance moved into a temporary rectory on the Sacred Heart Academy grounds on January 20, 1937, just in time to begin his ministry caring for flood refugees from Louisville’s West End who had been offered shelter by the sisters. The first parish Mass was offered on Sunday, February 21, 1937, in the Sacred Heart Auditorium.
On a rainy July 25th, 1937, the cornerstone was laid for the first structure of Holy Spirit Parish.
School opened in September, 1937, in the Sacred Heart gymnasium and four grades met in a cottage at 309 Cannons Lane, the temporary rectory. There were 91 pupils the first year, 12 First Communicants, and 11 in the first graduating class.
Archbishop Floersh blessed the new church on January 2, 1938. In June, 1939, the parish bought the adjoining property at the corner of Cannons Lane and Lexington Road. A white frame house on this lot became the rectory.
In preparation for the building of a permanent church, another 100 feet of land on Lexington Road was purchased in October, 1951. Ground was broken for the permanent church on February 22, 1953. Two years to the day from ground-breaking, Archbishop Floersh formally blessed the church. The 2000 pound Bell in the tower has the prayer “veni sancte spiritus” translation “Come Holy Spirit” cast into its surface. There were then some 800 families and 550 school children in the parish.
A School Board was formed in 1965, and the Parish Council was formed in 1968.
A new pipe organ was installed in 1990, in memory of Rev. Joseph McGee. A new Ministry Center, in the shape of a cross, was built in 1992 to house the growing number of ministries and parish activities. Throughout the years, the parish purchased adjacent properties when they became available to allow for expansions such as our Child Care Center, Youth House, and additional parking space. A major renovation, completed in January 2002, allowed our church building to be connected with other parish buildings.
Our pastor, Rev. Frederick W. Klotter, presides over a thriving parish numbering approximately 1000 active families.